Friday, November 2, 2007

My first fence

As many of you know we have a few rental properties. As many of you also know that means that we get to do the fix up's on those as well. Well I have been working for about 3 weeks a couple of hours here and there to build a fence/gate at one of our homes. The old fence/gate was rather unstable and one day when it was blown upon, it fell down. Now being the novice that I am I thought I could go out and build a new one in a couple of hours. Now any of you that have done this work before know that is crazy, but in true Gillmore time frame it seemed reasonable to me. Well needless to say it took more than a couple of hours, but I have to say I am pretty proud of it being my first one and all.

Here are the easy steps to follow to build your own fence/gate:

1. Start with old broken gate
2. Cement in your posts, making sure to stabilize them so they don't move once level
4.Build your gate5. Place your support beams6. Nail you boards to your support beams
7. Put on your hinges, and latches and your done!

I sure enjoyed getting to use all of our power tools and I feel pretty good that I built it all my by my self. After I got was done with this, I went in and fixed her toilet which was just running water, that of course only took about 15 minutes and was a much easier fix then the fence. Wow, if I could only put that kind of time into my own home, think of all the things I could get fixed!

No comments: