Saturday, April 12, 2008

The finished product

After hours, yes hours chopping up chocolate, grinding gram crackers and mixing, layering and layering. I pulled out of the oven, cupcakes that had fallen in the middle, stuck to the paper cups and didn't look at all great. At this point I started to question, what did I do wrong, I looked at the directions about 15 times just to make sure I added everything when and in the amounts I was supposed to, but the end result wouldn't reflecte the hard work. So needless to say I didn't even get use the blowtorch. However I think I can use it fix Abby's bed, so not all is lost.

Here is a picture of what I should have seen

This was a receipe from Matha Stewarts cupcake week called Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow which looked so easy on the show.

I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture because it was so sad. So I quick baked another tried and true cake and layered some strawberries and put some frosting on it and yes Abby added her sprinkles to this cake.

For some reason I can't determine why only some of my cakes will bake in a paper cups and why some of them seem to fall instead of rising nicely. I think I might need to invest in a oven thermometer as well as some other tricks I read about today.

Had the cupcakes turned out I sure would have loved to use my new toy. On a positive note, fixing the saw made all the difference I cut the wood so fast today, I couldn't believe it. So what did I learn? If your blade is catching or spinning, it isn't tight enough...right!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, shoot! I'm bummed too that they didn't come out. I saw the show when they made those cupcakes, and they were so cute! I'd say an oven thermometer is a good idea--I know mine bakes hot, and I have to bake things for far less time than the directions say otherwise they'll be totally overdone. I notice that when I overbake cupcakes is when they tend to stick to the paper liners.

As for falling in the middle, I wonder if the recipe wasn't suited to high altitude? The woman who made it is from Seattle and then they did it on Martha's show in NYC--both places essentially at sea level. That could definitely have something to do with it. I will admit that I rarely try any new recipes for cakes/cupcakes from "scratch" for this VERY reason--I just don't want to be bothered with tweaking the recipe so that it will perform well at altitude. Although there are ways to do it (less leavener, more flour) I just don't want to waste the time & ingredients trying to figure it out. I know I'm missing out on some great recipes that way, but I've had too many cakes come out of the oven looking like someone knelt on the middle of them because they fell!

Well, rats! I was really hoping for some photos of you wielding a blowtorch. :D

Melissa said...

That's a bummer! I too wonder if the altitude caused the problem. Perhaps you can torch some creme brulee! Yum!

ganelle said...

At least you tried. I don't even bother trying fancy/cute/difficult things. Heck, I rarely even try simple/plain/easy things! I'm impressed by your effort!