Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Children's Museum

Today Chris had to do some studying for school, so I needed to get the girls out of the house so that would happen. I asked Abby if she wanted to go to the Zoo or the Children's museum and she chose the museum, then the Zoo and when we were half way there, she changed back to the Children's museum. Because I thought it would be best to get there right when they opened so it was less crowded, we left with plenty of time to spare.
What I didn't know was that both the Zoo and the museum opened at 10AM on Saturday instead of 9AM, so you can image my surprise to arrive to an empty parking and locked doors. Needless to say I was not alone, there were at least a dozen other parents that arrived before hand, perhaps so that their children could pay on the playground, but I am going with, because they too didn't know what time the museum opened.
It was cold enough that I made them ware their coats, at least at first. Tori thought that the gravel was especially fun to play in. She had two big handfuls, but dropped them right before I snapped this picture.

Abby has always loved to go down the slides. When she was an "only child" I used to take her to the park at least 2 times a week and she would find the slides and go time after time after time. She thought this one was really cool because it went around and around like a slinky.
They had a really cool fire truck that you could climb in as well as play pretend fire fighter. Abby was all over putting on the outfit and posing with the fireman they had there. Tori was more excited about the dog then anything else here.

There was an adorable little house that was just the size of the kids. Everything was kid sized from the pots and pans to the stove and cabinets. I think the bed was a little too small for any of my children, but Abby had to try it out anyway.While Abby cleaned and organized, Tori made moved stuff and made messes, just like at home, however when you are done, you don't have to put everything back in it's place before you leave. Other kids will pick up right where you left off and keep playing. Tori was fascinated by the wood fruit that you put together as well as the salt and pepper shakers.
We spent over an hour is this 0-4 year old area with all there was for kids to do, I am sure they could have spent much more time there.

Next it was onto the "store/kitchen" where the children could go shopping with either a grocery cart or a basket, get the items they need, check out and then go on to cook their purchase. Abby and Tori both loved this area. There was a poor kid who was volunteering in this area who was responsible for putting items back once abandoned by the children, so that other children could shop off the shelves. I am sure he wanted to cry by the end of his shift, I would because as soon as he put something away, another child grabbed it and was off to do their work. It made me laugh because I often fill that way at home.

After a fun time at the museum, we had a quick lunch on the patio and headed home. Both kids crashed on the way home from all the excitement.

Tonight I had a girls night out and Chris stayed with the kids. I am not quite sure what prompted this picture, but it was just to funny not to add. I will leave the interpretations up to you.


No comments: